Reserve A Park
City of Thomasville Park Reservation Procedures
The City of Thomasville allows individuals and groups to reserve structures in certain Thomasville parks for special events, such as weddings, parties and reunions. These parks are: The Big Oak Gazebo at Elizabeth Ireland Poe Park, the Thomasville Rose Garden Gazebo, Cherokee Lake Park - Pavilion #1, and Francis Weston Park. Reservations for these park facilities are taken by Kim Morrison, Marketing Department, Thomasville City Administration Building, 111 Victoria Place. Once your application is accepted, a permit will be issued to you for the requested park and date.
- Contact Kim Morrison, Marketing Department, 229-227-3363 or firstname.lastname@example.org, to check the date and park availability and to obtain a Park Reservation & Permit Application Packet. All reservations must be made at least ten (10) business days in advance of your event. Only one permit will be issued per park for any given date. Reservations are not accepted during major holidays. (For example: July 4th, Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter, etc.) Reservations will be accepted up to 11 months in advance of your event.
- Complete the Park Reservation and Permit Application form and return to Kim Morrison. Reservations cannot be officially put on the calendar until all forms are completed and returned.
- Your permit will be available for pick up one week from the date your application was received. This permit must be kept with you at all times during your event.
- Changes and Cancellations: Any changes such as change of date, facility, time, etc., MUST be in writing and signed by the person who made the initial request. Any person or organization reserving a park structure is requested to notify Kim Morrison, immediately of cancellations, as there may be a waiting list for the park. The City reserves the right to cancel a reservation with at least thirty (30) days notice, at any time a group or individual violates Park regulations, or if the Facilities Director deems the park to be unusable or unsafe.
- Fees: Although a reservation fee is not charged for park usage, the reservation holder is responsible for any damages to City parks and park structures. A park inspection will be held following a booked reservation. Should property damage be incurred or should excessive clean-up efforts be necessary, the reservation holder will be billed. Please note that charges are not billed for normal maintenance efforts.
- Please note that when reserving a park; you are, in fact, reserving specific structures and that portion of the park where they are located. Because all city parks are public property, your reservation does not constitute exclusive use of the entire park area.
- Please review the Park Rules below for further restrictions and important information.
Park Reservation Contact: Kim Morrison, Marketing Department, 229-227-3363, email email@example.com. Located at the City of Thomasville Administration Building, 111 Victoria Place.
Park Locations and Amenities
The Big Oak Gazebo, Elizabeth Ireland Poe Park - Located at the corner of Crawford and Monroe Streets.
Gazebo area includes electricity but the gazebo itself is not lighted. No tables or restrooms available. If you would like to setup tables and chairs, please contact the Marketing Department, 229-227-3363, for more information. Due to the age of the tree, space is limited for setup.
Thomasville Rose Garden Gazebo - Located on Covington Avenue, just in front of Cherokee Lake Park.
Rose Garden Gazebo has several benches and garbage receptacles. Restrooms are located at Cherokee Lake and are stocked by City staff on Friday and Monday of each week, please plan accordingly. Electricity is available just behind the bathrooms. There is a 10 chair maximum at the gazebo due to space limitations.
Cherokee Lake Park Pavilion #1- Located on Covington Avenue, just behind the Rose Garden Gazebo.
Cherokee Lake Pavilions are adjacent to the Rose Garden and include 3 picnic shelters with 4-5 tables each, 2 playground areas, grills, fishing piers, a walking trail around the lake. Fishing is permitted with the proper license and except for small electric trolling motors, motorized boats are not permitted on the lake. The large pavilion closest to the restrooms is Pavilion #1 and the only structure available for reservation. The remaining pavilions are first-come, first-serve. Electricity is available beside pavilion #1 just in front of the restrooms.
Francis Weston Park - Located on Felix Street
Track, baseball field, playground, basketball court, several picnic tables, shelters, grill, trash receptacles. Electricity is not provided. Restrooms are available. When reserving this park you will be required to sign for key release. The restrooms will be stocked by City staff on Friday prior to reservation, please plan accordingly.
Reservations are not accepted for the remainder of the City of Thomasville parks.
The City Parks are for the enjoyment of all Thomas County citizens and guests. In order to maintain their accessibility and natural beauty, we ask that you cooperate with the following rules and regulations:
- Park facilities cannot be subleased. Due to the fact that the parks are public property, in NO instance may a fee be charged to enter the facility.
- The City of Thomasville reserves the right to reject or refuse any reservation request.
- ABSOLUTELY NO ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES MAY BE POSSESSED OR CONSUMED IN THE CITY OF THOMASVILLE PARKS! This applies to either open or unopened containers. There are NO exceptions and violators will be prosecuted.
- Use of microphones, musical devices, or any amplified sound must be in compliance with the City's noise ordinance. (A copy is available upon request.)
- The use of inflatable or motorized carnival type activities are prohibited.
- The City reserves the right to require supervision or security at the expense of the person or organization reserving the use of a park or gazebo. For large gatherings, an outdoor event permit may be required. Information and forms for such permits can be obtained from the City Clerk at the City Administration Building (229-227-7016).
- Specific prior permission is required for decorations, alterations to fixtures, walls, etc., or the posting of signs. NO permission will be granted for any nails or staples to be used. Stakes may not be driven in the ground at any park without permission from the City Facilities Director, who will specify the permitted location. Acceptable options for affixing decorations are tape or push pins.
- Chairs, tables, or staked tents are not permitted on the grass at the The Big Oak or The Rose Garden. For placement of tables, chairs or “freestanding” tents adjacent to the Rose Garden and Cherokee Lake contact the Marketing Department for permission and location restrictions. The City cannot guarantee the roses will be in bloom for any event.
- Any person or organization reserving a park or gazebo is responsible for proper clean up of the facility following the event. Please note that should the park require excessive maintenance following your event, you may be charged a clean-up fee. If you need extra trash receptacles for your event, please contact the Solid Waste Division at 229-227-7092. Additional fees will be charged for this service and will be the responsibility of the reserving party.
- The City of Thomasville parks are considered public places. In the event other people show up at the facility that are not in your party, the person or organization reserving the park does not have the authority to vacate them from the premises. The person or organization reserving the park may request others not with their party to move. Should the other party disagree, the person or organization reserving the park may contact the non-emergency number for the Thomasville Police Department (229-226-2101). Be sure you have the Park Permit with you to confirm that you have reserved the park. Please note that when reserving a park, you are in fact reserving specific structures and that portion of the park where they are located. Because all city parks are public property, your reservation does not constitute exclusive use of the entire park area in total.
- The City cannot be responsible for decorations, special provisions, or coordinating any event including weddings.
- If you have any problems after business hours or on weekends, please call the City of Thomasville Energy Control Center (ECC) at 229-227-5499.
- Except for small electric trolling motors, boats with motors are not allowed on Cherokee Lake.
Please contact the Thomasville Public Works Office, 229-227-4187, for questions about park usage.